Follow

Friday, July 1, 2016

and then Bethany came along

As she opened her arms to hug me, I reached my arm out to shake her hand--in which our first interaction serves as a relevant depiction of our relationship.

One of the first things I learned in college is that, compared to most people my age, I go to bed quite early. 90% of the time, I'll be in bed by midnight--whereas my roommate, Bethany, typically rolls in around 2 A.M. (at least that's what I assume... I rarely see her actually get into bed). One day, we actually went to sleep at the same time *gasp*, and as we're lying in our respective bunks, Bethany says, "You know, us living together is like having a sleepover every night." And in true sleepover fashion, she starts asking me all kinds of questions about any and all aspects of my life.

This may sound weird, but before I met Bethany, I never had a friend ask me so many questions. I guess I've never actually tried to get to know someone before. In the past, I always kind of let it happen over the course of a few years. Despite how foreign it was at first, I can't express how grateful I am to have had someone with such a deep interest and sincere care for other human beings thrown into my life. Not only have I been blessed with my own personal ray of sunshine, but she's made me slightly more comfortable with getting to know people (which is something I've struggled with for a long time x and xx).

Unfortunately for everyone around me, I'm one of those disgusting humans who's annoyingly subtle whenever I'm upset. Even when people ask, I really struggle to put my thoughts into words, to say something other than "everything's fine". For some reason, Bethany has the power to know when I'm in a mood before a pout can even reach my face. And for some reason, whenever she asks me what's wrong I manage to explain. Crazy stuff. Well, not too crazy, I suppose. In my nineteen years of life, no one has been more honest and open with me than Bethany. I guess that's a good reason.

Aside from all this mushy crap, Bethany and I have all the good bants. A general highlight of my first year of college is a blur of our sleepover-movie-night-chicken-nugget-quests. We've talked about everything from boys ("Yeah, but cute how?" "... in the face?") to fears to our least favorite colors. We've literally talked to the point where we've looked at each other and said, "What haven't I told you?" and then continued talking.

The conversation falls to silence as I start dozing off, and after a few moments of nothing but our breathing, she whispers (creepily, might I add), "This was the best sleepover ever." And then I'm dying in a fit of snorts and eye-rolls.

Bethany, you seem to have an endless supply of dirty laundry and empty boba cups, but there isn't another person I'd rather room with. Here's to another year of Man and Than.

video

No comments:

Post a Comment