Follow

Monday, August 17, 2015

Stargirl

 top: Dresslink; skirt: Forever 21; bag: Coach; shoes: Born

Ever since I was a small girl, my favorite book has been Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. Stargirl fascinated everyone around her with her free spirit and radiant smile. With her pet rat, Cinnamon, and her ukelele (which, by the way is pronounced ooh-ke-lay-lay; did I get it right Kayla?), Stargirl never failed to be a beautiful mystery. However, everyone at school treated Stargirl like a trend, showering her with attention and affection only to abandon her with scorn when she became a bore, but Stargirl barely cared. She merely floated through her days, spreading love and joy wherever she could.
It's crazy that an uptight girl like me could fall in love with a free spirit. Or maybe it makes more sense than storing eggs in the fridge (they belong in the fridge, fight me). Stargirl was everything I wasn't. And as I pursued happiness, Stargirl became everything I wanted to be. As I mature, I find myself becoming more free. Not just in the physical sense, but in an emotional sense as well. I let my mind wander, scribbling down thoughts that skip through my brain: I allow myself to feel instead of forcing myself to remain steady at neutral. Most importantly, I try to be unapologetically me.

Now I'm no free spirit. I'm no boho babe or hippie chick. Sure, I occasionally walk around barefoot, but I frequently lose my shit. At the end of the day, I'm just another girl who wants to be happy.
"In our minds we tried to pin her to corkboard like a butterfly, but the pin merely went through and away she flew."
from Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl
Let's talk outfit! Last month I posted a wishlist with a few tops from a website called Dresslink, and a week ago I received all my pieces so it's time for a review! Now ditzy me forgot to do a close up shot, but the embroidery on this top impressed me. For a one cent top (which, unfortunately, is now $4.60--still a great price), I assumed the design would be less embroidered and more ironed on. However, the top is indeed embroidered! While the embroidery on the light fabric does make the shirt a little bumpy, it doesn't take away from the top itself. Although the fabric is thin and somewhat transparent, it's no more transparent than most clothes these days, and the double layers helps keep things to the imagination. (The top actually has two layers of ruffles, but I tucked the lower layer in because leaving it out made me look short.) Overall, great top--especially for the price.

I paired it with this printed midi skirt from Forever 21 to achieve a bohemian vibe. I think the print collides well with the embroidery, and the flowing fabrics contribute to the overall sense of chill.
Also, I managed to shoot in a place that kind of matched my outfit. Go me! *pats self on back*

<3Kuo

10 comments:

  1. Aw love this! Star girl sounds awesome (and who stores their eggs in cupboards?!) x

    ratherstrangeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about the eggs (where else would you keep them?) and also about the not being as free and boho-y as I would like.

    WonderGoth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually not read Stargirl but have heard of it. I should probably pick up the book ASAP, but I love how she is symbolic to you. I'm an uptight girl like you and I find myself drawn to free spirits, too. Like you said, everything I aspire to be.

    I'm digging the look! You're bringing some of the Stargirl Bohemian vibes into this outfit and you look great! And yay to you for location!

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect outfit to match Star girl :) You look lovely dear xx

    Erica
    www.eggcanvas.me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post
    Would you like to follow each other? I'll follow back after it.
    Www.miharujulie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love being free spirited too.
    I dont take things so seriously, i just want to go with the flow
    By the way, i love your skirt-- so pretty

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stargirl was definitely a book that shaped me into who I am today. Her free spirit and they way she went about was something I so very admired and loved when I was a child as well. I love your outfit too. You're so cute!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm seriously obsessed with your skirt Kuo and Stargirl sounds like a really interesting book!

    http://rainbow-roseblossom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your outfit, you are very beautiful girl. I've just published a review of Inflatable Water Park . Have a look!

    ReplyDelete