Follow

Monday, August 3, 2015

I Hate Icebreakers

I hate icebreakers.

They're cheesy, they're forced, and they propel the formation of shallow friendships. I understand that icebreakers serve to prevent awkward silence, but they only succeed in filling the awkward silence with awkward, not to mention pointless, conversation.

That's not even the worst stuff! This could just be me, but I always feel incredibly pressured to be charming or witty or funny with the two seconds of attention that are allotted to me because that moment will define me in the eyes of everyone in the group. In those two seconds, I have to portray myself as polite, hilarious, intelligent, sarcastic, and charming. Um hello? It takes me two seconds to remember my name in high pressure situations. How am I supposed to convey the beautiful labyrinth that is Kuo with such preposterous time limits?

The worst part is when I invest all of my time and effort (you know, in the three minutes leading up to my turn because I sure as hell didn't go first) into my response and am met with nothing but polite stares and crickets. CRICKETS.

Yeah, icebreakers are tough.

I have school orientation coming up soon, so this was sitting on my brain. (In case you were wondering where this came from.)

<3Kuo

10 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I know the feeling. I try to make the best first impression that I can. I can tell you that there is always going to be so many first college conversations that go, "What's your name? What's your major? Where are you from?" While they can be tedious, you'll be surprised some of the interesting things you can learn about people (and then decide if you want to be friends with them further!) Don't feel too pressured by it. Act how it feels good too. You'll find your people.

    Peace & Love // Celestralite

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the word "ice breaking" when I was in my university orientation days one year ago. And guess what? It was that part where the seniors yell and shout at the freshmen for 15 minutes sharp. They point out our faults and say that we're not qualified to study here lmao. I was wondering what was "ice breaking" at first (it was written in the rundown). I guess you just have to be honest with yourself, you know. You don't have to pretend to be funny or witty. If you don't feel like talking, then you don't have to. Maybe this doesn't help much but in my opinion, forced interactions never works.

    BLOG | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah I actually don't mind ice breakers! I think they're fun and I always like meeting new people. I hope your freshman orientation is fun! I wasn't a huge fan of mine but I liked my welcome weekend! It was a lot of fun to meet the people you are going to school with for the next four years. I am really excited for my orientation-welcome weekend in three weeks (20 Days :0)! Since I am transferring, I'm sure I will have my fair share of ice-breakers too :) Good luck and let me know how it goes! BTW-Which school are you starting at again?
    Olivia | Her Name Was Celebration

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHhahha you are right --- ice breakers doesn't really break the ice or might we say boredom.

    Anyways, goodluck and let's us know what happen

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
  5. At times ice breakers have worked for me, but there are times where it hasn't. Great post!
    http://fridaynightstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same! Everything interesting about me just goes out the door, and I start listing the boringest facts. Way to turn people off even talking to me immediately right? I always try to come up with something that's interesting, but not stuffy, that can lead to more conversation later.

    If all else fails, I wear my cute cat flats, and do some nail art - that always gets a conversation started, and then I compliment their outfit and start talking about shopping (:

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog :-) http://bauchlefashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I'm socially awkward and introverted so sometimes that can make for a winning combo where I want to go home and lock myself in my room and cry....and well other times I seem to do alright. I feel ya though!

    http://rainbow-roseblossom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate icebreakers and just the general lead up to a friendship, like some people are so good at them but I'm just like ??? what do I do!! Or when you think you have a good way to start a conversation and it's just a dead end and then it's like WELL NOW I SEEM BORING. But don't worry I'm sure you'll be perfect!x
    libbyjade26.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Seattle too! I visited last fall and had such a lovely time. Your outfit is adorable by the way -- love the monochrome!

    Best,
    Christina

    Looks by Lau

    ReplyDelete