Follow

Friday, June 12, 2015

Thoughts of an Atheist


I'm not an atheist, but I don't really have a religion. I believe in a general God-like power that influences my everyday life, and that's all I know.

Some funny things I used to think about religion:

  1. God looked like George Washington. It would've made much more sense if I thought he looked like Jesus, right? But no, God was an old man wearing a powdered wig.
  2. Heaven (or wherever the God I believed in resided) was like a computer help center. There were tons of people who (I guess) worked for God. They all worked in a giant room, sat at their own computers, wore headsets, and were each assigned a person or two to take care of.
Back to the initial point of this post. As a kid without a religion, my classmates generally assumed I was an atheist. Even some of my close friends in high school thought I was an atheist. I'm not. But atheism has always fascinated me. Think about it! Whereas people with a religion have faith in some greater force intervening in their lives, atheists just don't. For atheists, there's only this world and nothing else. No supernatural power or all-powerful God. Whatever is on this planet is it. Not to mention, there's no afterlife for them. When they die, that's it. It's mind blowing how simple that is, though I imagine that makes it more difficult for them to cope with death, war, or any type of tragedy. At least with Christianity people can believe that their loved ones are off to a better place. It's kind of a weird paradox. With atheism, things seem simpler because there aren't any complicated mysterious forces. However, religion simplifies the process of justifying and understanding the world.

I guess the overall theme is that life is perplexing. There's no easy way to get through it. You pick a path and accept the benefits along with the complications. That's life.

<3Kuo

P.S. This post was inspired by Muse's "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist." The song has nothing to do with anything I just said but listening to it reignited all the thoughts I had about atheism.

No comments:

Post a Comment