Follow

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Am I a Desperate Hipster?


Even from a young age, I disliked trends. I was in the sixth grade when the skinny jean appeared. Before I knew it, all of my friends and all of my classmates were wearing skinny jeans. For a reason I didn't yet understand, I was opposed to buying the trendy jeans and looking like everyone else I knew. Now, I've come to realize that this qualm is loosely tied to my fear of conformity. To explain this fear in brief, I'm afraid that the government will one day make everyone exactly the same so that it can control us more easily. Thank you Harrison Bergeron (by Kurt Vonnegut) and The Handmaid's Tale (by Margaret Atwood).

Back to me being a desperate hipster.

Skinny jeans were an easy trend for me to forgo because I never really saw the appeal of them. However, in recent years, there have been types of clothes that I liked (black floppy hats, kimonos, and pinafores, to name a few) that I refrained from buying simply because I didn't want to look like everyone else.

Am I a desperate hipster because I try so hard to be unique? Or am I an independent person because I choose to dress uniquely? I like to think the latter, but who knows. Honestly, how much does it matter? My friends and I like to joke about people being hipsters, but I really don't think we should care even a little. People should be allowed to dress however they like without being (harshly) judged. Unless they're butt-naked in public. I understand if you're feeling a little badass and want to dress risque sometimes, but please think about the children--the young, impressionable children! Dress like that when you go to a bar, not when you pick up your kid from school. That's all I'm asking.

Where did this post go? Man, this always happens.

<3Kuo

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog so much, we have so much in common ^_^. I always find myself refraining from buying things because their too 'mainstream' and I always find myself saying 'that's too mainstream for me' (I should really reconsider my life choices) I'm even worried that all black is coming into fashion! I need to calm down haha x

    (also love your bio ^_-)

    ratherstrangeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete