Follow

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Superhero


When I was little, I always wanted to have some sort of superpower. After watching shows like Avatar the Last Airbender and Kim Possible, with characters who could take out their enemies with incredible ease, I desperately yearned for some way to defend myself. As a little girl, I was always afraid. I'm not entirely sure what I feared, but I constantly felt the need to be protected. From watching these shows, I came to admire how young people like Aang and Kim Possible managed to protect themselves from everything. No matter where they went, they were safe because in the face of danger, Aang could go all avatar state, and Kim could kick some ass. I wanted that.

I wanted to feel strong.

I didn't want to feel like I needed other people to take care of me. I wanted-- want-- to be my own superhero. There's this one song by the Cheetah Girls (I recently had a bit of a throwback Thursday, if you can't tell) called "Cinderella," and it's all about not waiting for a prince to rescue you. I never truly appreciated the value of that song until now.

Society should emphasize the importance of all people, not just girls, learning how to protect themselves-- physically, yeah, but also emotionally. Through the improvement of each citizen, society can prosper in unimaginable ways.

Okay, this was just supposed to be a cute anecdote about me wanting to be a strong young lady, but it turned into a commentary on society. What can I say? Everything's a UT. (Universal truth-- it's an AP Lit thing.)

<3Kuo

No comments:

Post a Comment