Follow

Monday, March 9, 2015

Acknowledgement as Justification


not related, but this was taken from the Space Needle in Seattle
I am a girl who not only embarrasses herself on a daily basis, but also cares way too much about strangers' opinions. Completely hypothetical example: If I am in a store and I theoretically manage to knock over like fifty thousand things, then I would probably (pretty loudly) announce how clumsy I am. Now you might be asking yourself Why would you draw even more attention to yourself Kuo? Well, that's a good question. You see, I am so self-centered that I think everyone sees my stupid moments because obviously everyone watches me at all times. Hence, because everyone is watching me anyway, I make these loud announcements to let everyone else know that I know I'm being stupid.

If that didn't make sense, then I have another anecdote for you. One of my dear friends loves to declare that her hair is a "frizzy mess" or a "rat's nest" when she has "bad" hair days (her words, not mine-- I think she's gorgeous every day). She does this for the same reason that I make random proclamations in public. We both agree that, in a weird way, acknowledging your faults seems to justify them or at least make them less embarrassing. Using this example of my friend, it's like people can't judge you as harshly if they know that you know your hair doesn't look good-- almost as if it's better to recognize your mistakes instead of being blind. And that makes sense! But I've been wondering if people take this too far.

Let's take Blair Waldorf (my all-time favorite character as well as my inspiration) as an example. As much as I adore her, she can be a pretty mean person. However, she recognizes herself as a bitch (evidence below). Based on the discussion I had above (with myself), that recognition should slightly justify her actions, but it really doesn't, does it? Being a jerk is wrong-- you can't validate inappropriate behavior by just saying "Yeah, I did that." I guess, like all things in life, there is a limit to this "acknowledgement as justification" phenomenon.

Again, nothing truly educational or helpful here. Just something that's been on my mind!

<3Kuo


No comments:

Post a Comment