Follow

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Emmys 2014 Stand Out Red Carpet Looks

I generally don't watch award shows, but I love looking through the red carpet looks on the internet the next day. Because I was looking through the pictures anyway, I thought I'd do a little post about the looks that stood out to me.

Allison Williams in Giambattista Valli
I really love this dress because of the unique top and the classic princess style skirt, but I don't like how it looks on her. Her head just looks so tiny! If she had her hair down in curls (or any hairstyle with volume), this would have looked much nicer.

Amy Poehler in Theia
Completely sequinned or metallic dresses have always been weird in my opinion. They always seem like they're supposed to be some sort of unflattering futuristic costume. This particular dress seems extra unflattering because of the direction of the stitching, especially around the hips. Her hips look like they go down to her thighs, if that makes sense. I love her hair though. The waves are so relaxed and natural, and I can see that she intended her hair to contrast the extravagance of her dress.

Cat Deeley in Burberry
This is so pretty! The deep v-neck and the clean straps are so elegant, and the mauve-blush ombre matches her skin tone really well. And her updo (what I can see of it anyway) suits the vibe of her look.

Hayden Panettiere in Lorena Sarbu
As I mentioned a few scrolls up, metallic/sequinned dresses tend to be unflattering in my opinion. I just feel like there were so many better ways that she could have shown off her little baby bump. The shape of the dress is fine, but a matte fabric would have suited her more.

Lena Dunham in Giambattista Valli
There are so many things wrong with this, and I don't even mean that in a rude way. First of all, someone should have ironed the shirt. The wrinkles just contribute to the mess that is this outfit. Moreover, she has a really beautiful pale complexion, but that really faded icing pink color washes her out. She also should have gone for a lower neckline because the way her hair stops right above her collar makes her head seem like it's sticking out of a hole in the wall. Maybe if someone made these changes to the top, the ruffles wouldn't look so bad...

Lena Headey in Rubin Singer
This just looks so edgy and cool. The pinstripes are so classy and all of the asymmetry is super modern. What really pulls this together, though, is her hair. She's got kind of a lady quiff going on which really contributes to the edginess of her look.

Sarah Hyland in Christian Dior
This is by far my favorite look from the Emmys. I just love how it's a classed up version of an everyday look: top knot, crop top, and maxi skirt. The orange skirt really emphasizes her youth and makes this outfit playful. P.S. I love her and Modern Family, so I may be biased.

Sarah Paulson in Armani Prive
She looks like a beehive from Wonderland. That's really all I have to say about this.


Zooey Deschanel in Oscar de la Renta
Honestly, this could have been so much better. Usually, my favorite red carpet looks are from Oscar de la Renta, but this one just isn't impressive. Is it odd that this stood out to me because it wasn't impressive? That just dawned on me, but back to the subject. From the top, this dress just looks like a normal strapless dress--whatever, no big deal, but then you get to the bottom and it kind of just looks like a sack. It doesn't look particularly bad, just not particularly good.

Teyonah Parris in Christian Siriano
This dress is just so vibrant and fun! The colors are really reminiscent of summer, and they flatter her skin tone. I also love how this dress has the huge skirt but still compliments her figure.

All of these pictures are from the New York Daily News website. Follow the link if you want to see more looks from the Emmys red carpet, and let me know which looks stood out to you down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment